Dance Central is a dancing game for the XBox 360 Kinect that was released on November 4th in North America. The game was developed by Harmonix Music Systems who also created the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises.
The gameplay is basically a dancing game where you follow the dancers movements. Flashcards will help be on the side to help you. If you get a good amount of Flawlesses & Nices in a row, the BG will have neon lights, if you get a Yellow or a Red while in this, it will go back to normal until you get a good amount of nices and flawlesses in a row. If you get a amount of Yellows & Reds in a row, the colors fade and the music gets muffled until you get a nice or flawless, it will be back to normal. There are a few modes in the game.
- Perform It: This is where you get to pick a song and dance to the routine.
- Workout Mode: This is the same as Perform It but with an addition. There is a little frame in the upper left corner of the screen where it counts how many calories you are burning as well as a workout time.
- Dance Battle: This is where you and another person do a dance battle. 1 player goes at a time and the one with the hihghest score wins.
- Challenge Mode: After getting 4 stars on each song in the catergory, a challenge is unlocked for that particular group. (Warmup,Simple,etc) The challenge is a mix of all of the songs in that catergory into one mix. The player has to get 4 stars in each challenge in order to unlock the final one.
- Break It Down: Also known as the Practice/Training mode where the player can learn the moves or practice the a step that a person is having difficulties doing, this mode helps the player practice the routine move by move.
In Dance Central, there are 8 dancers that are unlocked at the beginning to dance along side of you while two dancers have to be unlocked by completing a certain achievement. Each dancers with the exception of one has an alternate outfit and can be unlocked by getting 25 stars with the dancer. The list of Dancers are as follows:
Eliot also known as "Excessive Live Information Overload Tracker" is one of the unlockable dancers and can be attained after reaching the maximum rank in-game or earning 4 stars on the final challenge.
Ttiw Tolrep also known as the "Pink Ninja" is one of the unlockable dancers and can be attained after entering "Left, Up, X, Up, Right, Y" at the title screen using the control stick.
The game features different songs from different artists both old and new. There are 32 songs included in the main game with a bunch of DLC (Downloadable Content) released on the XBOX Live Market, the songs can be purchased with 240 Microsoft Points. For a list of songs featured on the game: List of Songs in Dance Central
The scores and reviews for Dance Central are mostly positive. Garnering a score of 82 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 63 reviews, 8/10 from IGN and a rating of 8.5/10 from GameSpot.